The main benefits and advantages of Linux over other operating systems, particularly Microsoft Windows, are:
- It is free to use and distribute.
- Support is free through online help sites, blogs and forums.
- It is very reliable – more so than most other operating systems with very few crashes.
- A huge amount of free open source software has been developed for it.
- It is very resistant to malware such as spyware, adware and viruses.
- Since the source code is visible, ‘backdoors’ are easily spotted, so Linux offers greater security for sensitive applications.
- Linux offers a high degree of flexibility of configuration, and significant customization is possible without modifying the source code.
The Linux operating system is widely use by both home and business users, and its usage is increasing daily. It is considered that Linux will eventually overtake Microsoft Windows as the most popular operating system.